Riverside Grooming has now been certified by the American Kennel Club (AKC) as an AKC Safety-Certified Salon. This prestigious award is given only to salons who have worked hard on ensuring the high safety standards established by the AKC. Both of our shops have been awarded and we are proud to prominently display our certificate in our Reception areas.
AKC Groomer/Salon Safety Oath
This salon agrees to the following AKC Safety Requirements:
- Pets must be handled and treated humanely; the pet’s safety is the top priority.
- Pets cannot be left unattended on grooming tables or in tubs.
- Equipment and surfaces that come in contact with the pet must be cleaned prior to use.
- Pets not being groomed must be secured in a crate with a door and a latch, or in a secure designated play area (with owner’s consent).
- Crates and cages must allow the pet to stand and do a full circle.
- Cage dryers, if used with owner’s consent, must have working temperature gauges and timers.
- Cage drying will only be done with equipment manufactured specifically for cage drying.
- The following records must be kept on each pet: identification, medical and behavior issues, allergies, intake condition and emergency contact.
- Floors must be free of hair and water to ensure that a safe electrical environment is maintained at all times.
- The salon must have two barriers between the grooming area and the salon exterior.
- A first aid kit and fire extinguisher are to be in plain view at all times.
- One AKC Safety-Certified Groomer must be present during grooming hours.
- All local laws, ordinances, and building codes must be abided by at all times.
- Grooming Certificates must be displayed at all times (NDGAA, IPG, ISCC, AKC).
- An AKC-approved disaster plan must be in place.
- This salon agrees to be inspected by the AKC at any time.